Staff Accountant, CA
Company: Collectors Universe
The Staff Accountant position will assist the accounting department with the fast paced month end closing process in accordance with company policies and procedures as well as US GAAP. Job duties to include, but not limited to, preparation and input of standard monthly journal entries, audit and maintain fixed assets, bank reconciliations, general ledger account reconciliations, monthly billings, and detailed account and trend analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform daily reconciliation of cash as required by the UCC
- Prepare monthly general ledger and bank account reconciliations
- Prepare and input standard monthly journal entries as well as assist with the month end closing process
- Audit and maintain fixed assets as well as calculate monthly depreciation
- Perform analysis and reconciliation of international accounts
- Perform monthly analysis of departmental revenues and expenses
- Reconcile deferred revenue
- Assist with process improvements within the department
- Other duties as assigned
Experience / Skills
- Understanding of GAAP accounting concepts and revenue recognition
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Organized, problem solver, flexible and able to prioritize
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven leadership skills with personal drive to meet and exceed expectations
- Outlook and intermediate to advanced Excel skills a must
- Cost Accounting experience a plus
- Navision experience a plus
No direct reports at this time
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; works with integrity and ethically.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; supports organization's goals and values; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person of when task will be completed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
BA or BS Degree in Accounting and a minimum 2-5 years of General Accounting experience.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The ability to write correspondence.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of MS Outlook and intermediate/advanced experience with Excel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.